Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently 23 Apr 2017, 23:48

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: [TV Series] Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 14:44 
Ninth

Synopsis

The story centers around Erika Shinohara, a vain 16-year-old girl who tells her friends about her romantic exploits, but she actually has no boyfriend. She claims that a handsome boy in a candid photo is her boyfriend, but it turns out that boy is a schoolmate named Kyouya Sata. She has no choice but to make him her fake boyfriend. Unfortunately, Sata may look like a sweet person, but he is actually an ultra-black-hearted sadist. Sata takes advantage of Erika's weakness and treats her like his dog.

[img]Genres:[/img]

Comedy
Romance
School
Shoujo

Story 6.5/10

The story isn't a particularly strong suit in this anime. The initial plot line is pretty dull and pitches itself as essentially an S&M version of a widely used dilemma in the Romcom-Shoujo world. The pacing of the anime was pretty good however which is something many anime these days fail at. The S&M routine is pretty funny through the first couple of episodes but then it kinda dies off I feel. I think this may have been intentional as it transitions from being a light hearted Romcom to being a fairly serious shoujo/romance with a fair bit of drama as well. This would've been fine had the transition only happened once but you kinda go on a rollercoaster ride with some episodes being quite light hearted and others being full on dramatic. The difference in mood between episodes can be quite jarring, even more than anime in which shoujo/romance are effectively the only genres in it. The setting was pretty bland with the typical school and Japanese city settings. Not a single thing in the setting that makes it stand out from every other Shoujo out there.

Characters 8/10

The only reason you should watch this anime is because of one character and one character only: Kyouya. He is literally like a super sadist version of Usui from Kaichou wa Maid-sama. His character alone, I feel, is the only reason this anime succeeds and I'd say it's the same with most shoujos. Most shoujos have a pretty unremarkable storyline where the start is always "girl X like boy Y (who is either really popular or a childhood friend) or girl X wants a boyfriend". And the end is almost always the same: they get together and have a happy ending (don't even bring up School Days :/ ). This means that the characters have to really appeal to the viewers for anyone to have a real interest in the anime. While in Ookami Shoujo only one of the characters I feel actually is remarkably good, it's still enough to make the anime enjoying. Kyouya is like a bloody loose cannon. I couldn't read a single thing he was going to do which is quite a feat in a genre where character cliches are everywhere. Mind you I haven't watched much for a period before this anime so maybe I'm getting a lil rusty. The unpredictability of his character and the way he thinks and does things makes the anime worthwhile to watch. Unfortunately the only stand out character in this anime is Kyouya and I even found Erika to be kind of annoying.

Art 7/10

Nothing amazing, nothing badly done. However its another one of those anime where the main character has retarded shaped eyes and everyone else doesn't. I'd like to see a stop to this now, it seems to be a recurring theme since Kaichou wa Maid-sama.

Sound 7/10

Once again, like the art, nothing amazing but nothing badly done either. Personally I liked the OP and the ED wasn't that bad either.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Overall 7/10

A pretty decent RomShoujoCom from a pretty unremarkable season. I quite enjoyed this anime mostly due to Kyouya and possibly due to my tendency to enjoy RomComs and Shoujos. The anime has it's shortcomings though as the story wasn't particularly strong and there was only one really stand out character but I still think it's worth watching if you enjoy Romcoms and Shoujos.

Pros:

++ Kyouya is an interesting character
+ Good Art
+ Good Sound
+ Good pacing

Cons:

- Story not that strong
- Other characters are pretty unremarkable
- Kind of a rollercoaster between romcom and shoujo drama

Recommend? Yes

Similar Anime:

Ao Haru Ride